DANVILLE COMMUNITY BEGINS TALKS ABOUT HOW TO END VIOLENCE

Marty Jackson, Russell Betterton, Larry Wallace Jr and Shakeva Frazier talk at the “Am I my Brother’s Killer?’ community forum Friday evening.
By Michael ​Livingston
Larry Wallace Jr. grew up in Danville. 
He returned to the city because he wanted to give back. 
“If Danville ain’t the way I want it to be, then it’s partially my responsibility to make it better,” Wallace said at the community forum entitled “Am I my Brother’s Killer?” on Friday evening at the Cardinal Village Community Center.

The event had Wallace, Russell Betterton with Southwest C.A.R.E.S., Marty Jackson with Virginia Organizing and Shakeva Frazier — people with a history of bringing others together throughout community — addressing issues of crime and violence with a crowd of about 50 people.

The panelists addressed issues like holding oneself and others accountable, conflict resolution, family issues and more to the people of Cardinal Village — people who daily deal with issues of community violence.

The event was put together by the Community Law Enforcement Partnership committee, responsible for the annual event with the same name held in September.

The committee plans to hold three more forums throughout the year. 
As violent crime in the Danville area has increased, forums such as the one Friday had citizens asking what can they do better for themselves and to help their neighbors.

Frazier said pride is a big factor in conflicts because people’s mindset is “I didn’t want to look weak … I would never back down."

“To walk away” from conflict “means you’re the bigger person,” Frazier continued.

About 20 children were in attendance, paying close attention to the words from the panelists. 
Betterton said the children are like “beautiful young flowers” who “need love and a chance.”

Jackson remarked he used to be involved in criminal activity such as selling drugs, but he turned his life around for his children and his family.

“I realized the damage that I was doing to [my son] as well as my community,” Jackson said.

“I had to forgive myself." 

In time, he rebuilt relationships with his children and became active in the community by teaching youth about the path he initially chose.

“[Now] I give back double than what I took from my community,” Jackson said. 
Wallace said he gives back through mentoring in jails and by hiring people to work for his business.

Later in the event, Frazier read letters from Danville residents now incarcerated in the state's prisons.

“Change begins with us as individuals, Frazier read from the first letter.

The author wrote about how people like the panelists at Friday’s forum tried to convince him to take a different path.

Instead, he now is serving a 15-year prison sentence.

“I have cried in my cell” thinking about all of the times he “should have listened,” inmate wrote.

The author of another letter is serving an active sentence of 30 years “in a world that’s cold and bitter.

He’s been “reduced to a last name and a state number,” the letter read. “I wouldn’t put this on anyone.”

Thank you for reading. Kindly share also.

Comments

NOW ON SALE WORLDWIDE!!!!!! THE FOUR STONES - The Battle of the Four Realms - BY UCHECHUKWU DANIEL

MORE COMMUNITY HEADLINES

PHOTO: LORAL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL WINS 2017 AFRICA TOP SCHOOL AWARD

NIGERIA PRISON SERVICE RESPONDS TO FRAUDULENT MINDS

WORLD'S OLDEST MAN DIES AT 116 IN SOUTH AFRICA